Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Hergert Numbers at AMATYC 2012

It's taken me forever to get this posted, but I'm finally putting up the pictures from our trip to the 2012 AMATYC Conference in Jacksonville, FL last month. On our first day in town, we headed out to St. Augustine to do some sightseeing. Above, you see Mrs. Hergert Numbers in front of the original Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum. This was her contribution to our vacation plans.

We spent the next day on campus at Jacksonville University (my alma mater). As we were walking across campus, we stopped to talk to Dr. Peter Ryan who is the only math teacher left from my time at JU. We had a nice conversation about math teaching for about 45 minutes. Of course, I took a few minutes to tell him about Hergert Numbers and sent him on his way with a handful of HN business cards.

On Friday night, I stopped by a table in the hotel bar where a couple Illinois folks were seated. As I was about to leave, I paused to give a plug for Hergert Numbers to the people I didn't know at the table. A woman from Kansas took one look at my business card and exclaimed, "You're Hergert? Ha ha!!"

The following day was my talk on inflection points. I was pleasantly surprised to get about 40 people in attendance, which is not bad on a beautiful Saturday afternoon that was much more conducive to listening to the waves come ashore than listening to some guy ramble on about Calculus.

That same day, we left for home but only got as far as Charlotte, NC before a canceled flight extended our trip for a day. Since I was out of clean clothes, I broke out one of the Hergert Numbers t-shirts that I brought to the conference to sell. So, from now on I'm definitely bringing a spare Hergert Numbers shirt with me when I travel!

No comments:

Post a Comment