Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hergert Numbers origami

I should have posted this a couple weeks ago, but I was busy putting up the Hergert Numbers Facebook page.

The fine work in the above photo is by Michael Kunz, a student in my Calculus class this semester. Michael makes at least one origami figure each day during class to turn in as his "most important thing we learned in class today" minute paper.

So, a couple weeks ago, we were covering Hergert Numbers in class so he made me a couple origami figures with Hergert Numbers on them to represent the most important thing from that day's class.

Besides working on the Facebook page, I was also delayed simply because I kept forgetting to bring them home. Once I finally got them in my house, they sat on the kitchen counter for a couple weeks before I bothered to snap some photos. In other words, basic procrastination made it about three weeks from their creation to appearing here.

Tomorrow, I'm off to the annual conference of the Illinois Mathematics Association of Community Colleges (IMACC) where I'll be giving a talk that will feature a brief promo for the Hergert Numbers at the end.

I'll also be donating a t-shirt to the IMACC Scholarship Fund raffle. I'm sure that will sell a lot of tickets!

No comments:

Post a Comment